Estimated costs for transferring, mortgaging and/or re-mortgaging your property
Our fees below cover the standard work required to complete the transfer, mortgage and/or re-mortgage of your property, including dealing with registration at the Land Registry and, where appropriate, dealing with payment of Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT), if the property is in England, or Land Transaction Tax (LTT), if it is in Wales.
|Work to be completed||Our fee||Total inclusive of VAT|
|Transfer of equity a without mortgage||£450.00||£540.00|
|Mortgaging or re-mortgaging your property||£500.00||£600.00|
|Transferring of equity and re-mortgaging your property||£600.00||£720.00|
The following additional charges may apply:
|Our additional fee||Total inclusive of VAT|
|Client/third party identification (per person)||£4.00||£4.80|
|Bank transfers (TT and same day faster payments)||£25.00 or £5.00 respectively||£30.00 or £6.00 respectively|
|Arranging a bespoke indemnity or “no search” insurance policy||£50.00||£60.00|
|Preparing a declaration of trust||£200.00||£240.00|
This is not an exhaustive list and we would advise you if any further issues arise for which we will be charging an additional cost.
In addition to the above, disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as pre-contract search fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. These include:
|Disbursements||Cost (inclusive of any VAT)|
|Bankruptcy search (per person)||£2.00|
|Land charges search (per person)||£2.00|
|Land Registry search||£3.00|
(Personal local authority, environmental, full water & drainage and chancel searches)
|Land Registry fees for registration||See below|
This is not an exhaustive list and we would advise you, if any further issues arise for which we will incur further disbursements, including, for example, indemnity policies.
Land Registry fees for registration will depend on the circumstances. To ascertain the fee applicable, please click here (include link- https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hm-land-registry-registration-services-fees#scale-1-fees).
We will, of course, discuss the Land Registry fee payable with you, at the outset.
SDLT or LTT
SDLT and LTT do not apply to mortgages and re-mortgages. However, there may be tax to pay on transfers of equity, although this will depend on the circumstances and we will advise you of this, at the outset.
How long will it take to mortgage or re-mortgage my property?
The average time to mortgage or re-mortgage a property (with or without a transfer of equity) is three to four weeks. It can be quicker or slower, depending on the complexity of the legal title and the conditions of the mortgage offer. A transfer of equity without a mortgage will take approximately two weeks, although this may be quicker or slower, depending on the legal title and the parties involved.
Stages of the mortgage or re-mortgaging process
The stages involved vary according to the circumstances. However, the key steps usually include:
- taking your instructions and giving you initial advice;
- checking your finances are in place to ensure the transfer of any interest in the property;
- preparing and advising on transfer documentation;
- giving advice on joint ownership, if required;
- carrying out pre-contract searches or arranging indemnity insurance, as appropriate;
- obtaining further planning and/or building regulations documentation, if required;
- going through the conditions of your mortgage offer with you, where applicable;
- sending the final transfer deed, SDLT/LTT return and mortgage deed to you for signature, where applicable;
- arranging for all necessary monies to be received from you and your lender, if applicable;
- completing the transfer and/or mortgage/re-mortgage;
- dealing with payment of SDLT/LTT; and
- registering the transfer and/or mortgage/re-mortgage at the Land Registry.