Undisputed business to business debts
If you need recover an unpaid invoice, please get in touch with one of our commercial debt recovery solicitors. They will review your situation and advise you on the next steps. If you wish to proceed with your commercial debt recovery, the following costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs, if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one-off letter is required) or an hourly rate, if more extensive work is needed.
|Debt value||Court fee||Our fee|
|Up to £5,000||£25-£105
(depending on the value of the claim)
|£750 plus VAT|
|£5,001 – £10,000||£410||£850 plus VAT|
|£10,001 – £50,000||4.5% value of the claim||9% value of the claim plus VAT|
Anyone wishing to proceed with a debt recovery claim should note that:
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before claim
- Receiving payment and sending on to you or, if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgment in default
- When Judgment in default is received, writing to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received within 14 days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
Matters usually take between four and 12 weeks from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether it is necessary to issue a claim and the court’s current turnaround time. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgment in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.
If you would like to talk to us about a debt that your business wishes to recover, you can email us or call 01295 253211.